Facebook is a social networking website launched on February 4, 2004. The free-access website is privately owned and operated by Facebook, Inc. Users can join networks organized by city, workplace, school, and region to connect and interact with other people. People can also add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profile to notify friends about themselves. The website's name refers to the paper facebooks depicting members of a campus community that some American colleges and preparatory schools give to incoming students, faculty, and staff as a way to get to know other people on campus.
Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook while still a student at Harvard University. Website membership was initially limited to Harvard students, but was expanded to other colleges in the Ivy League. It later expanded further to include any university student, then high school students, and, finally, to anyone aged 13 and over. Peter Thiel was the first person to fund the company, with an initial investment of US$500,000. Features include a Wall for posting messages and Photos for uploading digital photos. The website has more than 80 million active users worldwide.
- A year after IPO, Facebook aims to be ad colossus - Boston Globe
- Microsoft Updates Xbox as Apple to Facebook Gain in Games - Bloomberg
- Facebook Home not the big hit anticipated - Columbus Dispatch
- 5 Security Tips for Facebook Mobile - ABC News
- One Year Later, It Is Time To Revisit That Facebook IPO -- And The Wider Market - Forbes
- 3 Chicago teens accused of raping girl, posting attack on Facebook - Fox News
- Waco police tout success of Facebook page - Waco Tribune-Herald
- West Jefferson residents rally for police chief's Facebook page - Columbus Dispatch
- Going Public Made Facebook a Much Better Company - Mashable - Mashable
- Dealer swaps shoe leather for Facebook - Automotive News - Automotive News
Facebook Blog Posts
- Facebook's Growth Since IPO In 12 Big Numbers | TechCrunch
- FACEBOOK IS NOT GOING TO MAKE AN OFFER: Tumblr Is ...
- Daring Fireball: Facebook Home and Dogfooding
- One Year After IPO, Facebook's Biggest Bets Could Take Years to ...
- Check Out Facebook's Nerdy Library Of Its Research Papers ...
- How An Ex-Googler Built Facebook For Glass | TechCrunch
- Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, CNN And Evernote Apps Coming To ...
- Facebook Says Likes Must Have Free-Speech Protection - Gizmodo
- Facebook's iPhone Culture Builds An Overzealous Home On ...
- The Facebook IPO, One Year Later - Evelyn M. Rusli - News ...
- Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
- you need to get off facebook
- You Posted That on Facebook?
- Harlem Shake @ Facebook
- No Pants Subway Ride 2012
- Facebook Home
- Ellen Found Your Facebook Photos
- Facebook | The Things That Connect Us
- Facebook Song - Rhett & Link
- Flickr: Facebook
- Google Image Search: Facebook
- Yahoo! Image Search: Facebook
- Live Search Images: Facebook
- ImageShack: Facebook
- Photobucket: Facebook